History

Glasgow Rowing Club was formed on 4 December 1983 by the amalgamation of Glasgow Argonauts Boat Club (founded in 1924) and City of Glasgow Rowing Club (founded in 1965 – itself formed from The Glasgow Printers Rowing Club which was founded in the early 1900s).

Originally based in the East Boathouse on Glasgow Green, in 1997 thanks to funding from the National Lottery, Sport Scotland and tremendous hard work by many of its founding members, the club moved to its current home on the South bank of the Clyde, at Silverfir Place in the Gorbals.

Over the years, the club has been a training base for some of Scotland’s best oarsmen and women, including World and European Champion Polly Swann, and World Bronze Medalists Lindsay Dick and Sam Scrimgeour.